Thursday, September 15, 2011

Hearty

Recently, Delilah changed her name.  She told me "that name I used to have wasn't very pretty.  Hearty is a pretty name."  So now she goes by Hearty.  Seriously. She'll scold me (or Papa) when she's introduced as Delilah.  In fact, when Papa asked her what she was going to tell her teacher, she responded "Ill have to think about it."  And so when I asked her later what her choice was, she said Hearty.  So after her 1st day of school, I asked her what her teacher called her because I know she told the teacher at Open House that her name was Hearty, she told me "she calls me that name you gave me." 

Well, I do in fact still call her Delilah and sometimes I remember to call her Hearty.  I decided to oblige by making cupcakes for our teddy bear party in the shape of hearts.  I stuck a marble abetween the lining and the muffin tin to get that indentation.  They weren't perfect hearts, but it pleased her and I was happy.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Has she heard the song "Hey There, Delilah"? If so, doesn't she find it cool to hear her name in a song?

The story is pretty funny.

Mary said...

The irony of "Hearty" to describe this waif of a tot who calls it in unadorned, cutting language as she sees it. Gotta love her pluck!